GELESIS100 is a smart pill that is designed to treat the physiological symptoms of hunger without surgery, other invasive procedures or systemically absorbed drugs. It is designed to safely cause significant weight loss.
Gelesis100 is designed to trigger several important weight loss mechanisms in the stomach and the small intestine. The product is a highly engineered and proprietary patented hydrogel whose components are materials with Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) designation. Gelesis100 represents a breakthrough in material science and has been designed and finely tuned to act in specific ways throughout the gastrointestinal tract (see below):
1. Twenty minutes before a meal, a patient swallows capsules containing particles approximately the size of grains of salt.
2. Once in the stomach, these particles are released from the capsules and rapidly absorb water, hydrating to approximately one hundred times their dry weight.
3. After several hours (depending on meal size & content), the particles will shrink, releasing part of the absorbed water.
4. The particles then pass into the small intestine where they rehydrate and increase the elasticity and viscosity of the contents of the small intestine.
5. The Gelesis100 particles then pass into the large intestine where enzymes cleave the cross-linker of the Gelesis100 hydrogel causing most of the absorbed water to be released and absorbed by the body.
6. The cleaved hydrogel, which becomes much smaller in size, is then excreted from the body.
Obesity therapies have historically been hampered by one or more of the following challenges:
✘ Adverse events or side effects that limit dose
✘ Substantial safety vs. efficacy tradeoffs
✘ Invasive procedures or less desirable administration routes such as injections
Typical Side Effects of Other Approaches
Weight Loss Drugs
- High Abuse Potential
- Dry Mouth
- Increased Blood Pressure & Heart Rate
- Oily Spotting
Devices & Minimally
- Internal Bleeding
- Implant Slippage
- Device May Need Adjustment
- Pulmonary Embolism
- Blood Clots
- Dumping Syndrome
- Loss of Bodily Function
- Nutrition Deficiencies
- Internal Bleeding